Great Dutch software and internet companies
When we are talking about big software and internet companies most of the time we are talking about either US based companies like Google, Microsoft and Amazon or Chinese companies like Alibaba and Tencent. It’s of course true that these IT powerhouses from the USA and China are dominant. Especially when we’re talking about revenue and market share.
All of this, doesn’t mean however that there isn’t great software originated elsewhere. Think of Soundcloud and Zalando from Germany, Spotify from Sweden and Jetbrains from the Czech Republic. Linux originated from Finland and Docker from France. But what about my own country the Netherlands?
When I think of tech first ASML (machines for creating computer chips) comes into mind. Also, that for example Python programming language originated from the Netherlands.
Soon enough however I come with a list of 25 Dutch software and internet companies who are great:
1. TomTom (Navigation)
2. Elastic (Search & Analytics)
3. Booking.com (Travel)
4. Takeaway.com (Food)
5. Mendix (Low-code Platform)
6. Betty Blocks (Low-code Platform)
7. Speakap (Communication Platform)
8. OBI4Wan (Service & Media)
9. Ayden (Financial Services)
10. Picnic (E-Retail)
11. Mendrix (Transport)
12. Unit4 (Business Software)
13. AFAS (Business Software)
14. RES software (Virtualization)
15. Topdesk (Service desk)
16. WeTransfer (File Transfer)
17. CataWiki (Auction)
18. SecurityMatters (Security)
19. Bol.com (E-Retail)
20. Coolblue (E-Retail)
21. Wehkamp (E-Retail)
22. Exact (Financial Software)
23. ChipSoft (Healthcare)
24. The learning network (Education)
25. MessageBird (Customer Service Platform)
There is not a particular order or criteria for this list. Just something not to forget to we make great software. There is enough to be proud of, just around the corner.